PSF – Match Report – 18/7/23

Cray Valley PM                                     2

Black 17, Parker 55

Cray Wanderers                                   1

Thompson 88

Cray Wanderers third game of pre-season ended in defeat in a local derby at Cray Valley PM as a goal in each half proved decisive for the Millers.

After a bright start for the Wands, it was Cray Valley who took the lead in the 17th minute when Sonny Black was on hand to score from a yard out.  The home side had chances to increase their lead and did so in the 55th minute when ex-Wand Freddie Parker made no mistake from Black’s pass.   Cray though did rally and Cameron Thompson pulled a goal back two minutes from time.

On a cool and later wet evening Cray began the game on the front foot and after ninety seconds Yahya Bamba broke into the area down and his shot was turned away well by keeper Sam Freeman.  

Then from a free kick down the right the ball eventually was played back into the area for David Ijaha but was blocked and the ball came to Cameron Black down the left but shot over under pressure from a defender.

Cray Valley though were playing well and went ahead with a scruffy goal f the 17th minute when from a corner down the left, Lyle Della-Verde’s ball into the six yard box was helped across by Freddie Parker and as Shaun Rowley came for the ball Sonny Black was on hand to turn the ball in from the goalline.

The Millers had chances to increase their lead with Denzel Gayle coming close with a shot which was well saved by Rowley.  Then a fine pass from Gayle put Parker through fon goal but from about 14 yards dragged his shot wide of the left post.  This was followed by Parker going through again but hesitated when in the area before shooting and the ball was cleared by Cameron Black.

Before half time both sides had strong penalty shouts.  Firstly, the no 17 for Cray Valley looked to have been brought down by Tom Penfold in the area.  Then the ball came to the other end to Bamba who looked to loft the ball over Freeman who clattered the winger but the ball drifted across goal and was cleared.

HT:  1-0

There was a half opening for Cray at the beginning of the second half when Sam Wood’s floated free kick was glanced over by Cameron Black.

The game was becoming a bit scrappy but ten minutes after half time Della-Verde and Black combined to set up Parker this time for a composed finish to make it 2-0.

Anthony Cook hit a shot on target which was well claimed by Freeman as the Wands looked to get a foothold back in the match.

In the 71st minute Cray Wanderers came closest yet when Frankie Raymond hit a rasping shot which Freeman did superbly to tip onto the crossbar with Anthony Cook setting up Cameron Thompson to score but the goal was ruled out for offside.

The Wands kept on going and pulled a goal back in the 88th minute when Jamie Mascoll played the ball across from the left to the right to Rio Campbell who cut into the area and laid the ball to the far post via a slight deflection to Thompson who scored from close range.

There was still time for Raymond to come close with a shot which stung the hands of Freeman who pushed the ball aside but despite this late rally Cray Valley held out for the win which perhaps over the game they just edged.

Despite the defeat there were still some encouraging signs and the team finished the match well and will return to action on Tuesday 25th July with another short trip to Chislehurst to face Glebe.

Starting lineup – Shaun Rowley, Archy Taylor, Tom Penfold, Cameron Black, Sam Wood, David Ijaha, Alfie Evans, Trialist, Yahya Bamba, Tom Derry, Louis Collins:

Second half replacements:  Liam Northwood, Jamie Mascoll, Jack Holland, Reggie Rye, Frankie Raymond, Anthony Cook, Rio Campbell, Cameron Thompson, Nyren Clunis