Cray Wanderers Youth Roundup – 19/9/21 – Part 1

Selkent League – U11s B White Division

Cray Wanderers U11s Wolves                    3

Junior Reds Spartans                                      2

Sunday, 19th September saw the start of the Selkent League and another dramatic nine months of league and cup action for 24 Cray Wanderers clubs in the league.

The U11s Wolves began their season at Flamingo Park against Junior Reds Spartans and it was a cracking game which Cray won with a goal three minutes from time.

Cray began the game on the front foot and went two nil up early on before Junior Reds could settle in the game. Firstly, Rojus Simenes tested the Reds keeper with a low shot and then won a penalty which Arthur Robinson fired just wide of the left post.

The pressing from Cray was unrelenting early on and Simenes and King Obayan came close before Cray scored the first goal. From a corner, Solomon Conteh saw a shot held on the line and the visitors were dispossessed in possession in their own box and Obayan took advantage to score.

A minute later it was 2-0 when Conteh was played through and advanced on goal and coolly clipped past the keeper and it looked like it would be a comfortable afternoon.

Conteh then shot wide and saw an effort well saved but Junior Reds gradually got into the game mainly through the pace of the no 6 down the right and he pulled a cross-shot across goal and then saw a shot pushed out by keeper Harry Davison. Cray continued to threaten and the Reds keeper did well to make a good save to deny Leo Maros.

Before half time the game was going end to end and the Reds pulled a goal back when the no 6 down the right fired in a shot which went in off the left post.

For Cray, Conteh set up Maros who fired just over while at the other end the no 6 saw a shot deflected behind for a corner. The action continued unrelenting and Obayan made a good run into the box and his shot was superbly pushed round the post by the keeper.  The no 6 again shot  straight to Davison from inside the area and the last action of the half came from a Cray free kick when Charlie Franks ball into the box was pushed over from under the bar by the keeper.

HT:  2-1

The second half was a more quieter half but still full of good action and Junior Reds began the second half well. The Reds drew level when the no 6 set up the no 7 who turned and shot into the bottom left corner to make it 2-2.

Cray though regrouped and ended the game well. Firstly, Conteh inside the box hit a shot which came back off the left post.  Then a free kick the ball was played to Harry Morgan who found Lenny Mahon whose shot was well blocked by the keeper.

Another shot from Morgan was held and then Obayan won possession and from inside the area saw his shot pushed away by the keeper.

A third goal for Cray though was coming and duly arrived three minutes from the end with a fine individual goal from Obayan who won the ball and strode into the area and shot wide of the keeper to make it 3-2.

There were no further goals and Cray won a fine match and a good test of their credentials in the league this season and very well officiated.

Cray:      Harry Davison, Aris Mbwakomeo, Frankie Solomon, Arthur Robinson, Charlie Franks, Leo Maros, Rojus Simenes, Harry Morgan, King Obayan, Donnie Warling, Lenny Mahon, Brooklyn Britton, Solomon Conteh

Selkent League U12s C Navy Division

Cray Wanderers U12s Lions                         6

Dartford U12s                                                    1

The Cray Wanderers U12s Lions got their league season off to a flyer with in the end a convincing win against Dartford at Flamingo Park.  The match was level at 1-1 at half time but five goals in the second half saw Cray clinch an impressive victory.

Cray began impressively and came close when Perry down the left shot just wide and then on five minutes took the lead when Vale hassled the Dartford defence and down the left of the area finished impressively wide of the keeper.

The Lions continued to threaten and Gabriel set up Perry who shot over before Dartford came back into it and the no 5 down the left of the area got into the box and dinked the ball over the keeper but was cleared off the line and put behind for a corner.

For Cray, Vale shot wide and Ted R set up Perry for a shot which was met by a terrific one handed save by the Darts keeper and then denied Vale with his feet from close range and then Perry saw a shot deflected behind for a corner.

Against the run of play though Dartford levelled before the break when from a corner the ball came to the forward whose shot was blocked and following up the no 5 turned home the rebound.

Before half time, Perry was again denied by the keeper and despite being on top went in at half time all square.

HT: 1-1

Cray took a grip early in the second half and after Perry was brought down just outside the area from the free kick, George curled home a beauty of a strike high into the top corner.

A few minutes later it was 3-1 when Gabriel scored the first of a hat-trick when a fine pass from midfield by David put Gabriel through and finished in composed style from just outside the area.

Cray continued to dominate and Ted R and Gabriel all went close to scoring and twice Perry fired just over but Dartford still posed the occasional threat and the no 5 hit a shot which was well held by Taylor and then the no 14 hit a curling shot which Taylor tipped onto the post and behind.

The Lions though finished the game very strongly and after Ted R saw a shot saved by the keeper’s feet, shortly after it was 4-1 when Jude down the crossed to Gabriel who scored his second with a crisp shot from just inside the area.

Shortly after it was 5-1 when a ball was played from midfield through to Gabriel who completed his hat-trick with another quality finish.

With the game long done and dusted there was still time for Callum up from the back to be brought down in the area and stepped up to score the sixth goal from the spot and complete the scoring.

Cray looked a very impressive side and could have had more goals but for the Darts keeper and what could have been a tight game at half time was made to be comfortable in the end. Again very well refereed by Robert and an another enjoyable match.

Cray Lions:          Taylor, Teddy Turner, Callum, Ted R, Vale, Perry, David, George, Gabriel, Jude, Luca.

It was a busy Sunday for the Cray Wanderers Youth section with many of our 29 teams playing league matches in the Kent Youth League and Selkent Leagues.

In the KYL, the U14s & U15s maintained their unbeaten starts to the season. The U14s beat Dulwich Village 7-1 to make it two wins out of two after starting the season with victory at Red Devils United. The U15s built on an opening day win at home to Dulwich Village by winning 5-2 at Cray Valley PM on  Sunday.  The U16s bounced back from an opening day defeat by winning an exciting match 7-5 at home to Beckenham Town while the U13s just starting out on their Kent Youth League journey were beaten 1-4 at  Long Long Juniors.

The Selkent League got under way and the U17s were impressive 7-1 winners at Dartford.  The U13s Lions started with a 5-0 home win vs Long Lane Tigers at Flamingo Park. The U14s drew 1-1 at home to Danson Sports while the U15s lost 1-4 at home to Hayden Youth.  The U11s Lions won 7-2 at Junior Reds Athletic and the U11s Piranhas won 3-0 away to

The U10s Sharks defeated Welling United 7-0 and the U10s Piranhas won 3-0 away.  Elsewhere, the U9s Piranhas lost 4-1 to Teviot, the U9s Sharks drew 4-4 with Long Lane and the Lions lost 1-4  to KSI Coaching.  There were also good wins for U8s and U7s sides.