FA Youth Cup 1st Qualifying Round – Wednesday 15th September


Glebe                           3                      Boyce 12, 90+5 pen, Phillips 15

Cray Wanderers         1                      Mula 67

Cray Wanderers exited the FA Youth Cup at the 1st Qualifying Round stage at Glebe but put in a gallant second half performance after a difficult first 15 minutes of the match. 

 Glebe started well and went ahead when Finlay Boyce scored from close range in the 12th minute and three minutes later a stunning 25 yard volley from Henry Phillips doubled their advantage.

 It was a game of two halves as Cray came out fired up after the break and hit the woodwork with a rasping drive, saw shots saved and pulled a goal back through Arens Mula’s close range header. Cray almost scored again shortly after but in the final action, Glebe were awarded a penalty for which Luke Miller was sent off and Boyce scored his second from the spot.

 On a mild night at Foxbury Avenue, Cray started well moving the ball around but Glebe U18s are a strong force in the Kent Youth League and looked a confident side.  The Foxes took the lead in the 12th minute when the ball was worked down the right and the ball was crossed to the far post where Boyce was on hand to steer the ball in from about 5 yards.

 Three minutes later and out of nothing it was 2-0 following a breathtaking dipping volley from Henry Phillips slightly to the left of the area and curled over the outstretched hand of keeper Dylan White.

 Cray’s best opening in the first half fell to Israel Kabengele down the right when his  swinging shot was patted away by keeper Isaac Moses.

 Glebe continued to dominate the rest of the half and Phillips tried his luck again from 20 yards and went just past the left post.  Then Omarion Byfield down the right of the area was denied by a fine tackle from Ben Morgan for a corner.

Dylan White made a terrific save to push away two handed a shot from a free kick from Alfie Moynes and at half time it seemed Glebe had a grip on the game.

Second half was a different story and Cray came out looking to get back into it quickly. First, Arens Mula who scored a hat-trick in the previous round saw a shot deflected for a corner. Then Luke Miller was unlucky to see a crashing drive from just outside the box come back off the underside of the crossbar and the follow up shot from Ben Morgan was well saved by the keeper.

From a free kick, Ernest Kargbo saw a shot pushed out by Moses and then Jed Nsiah-Ansare hit a hooked volley off target down the right while for Glebe, Boyce’s shot down the left hit the side netting.

In the 67th minute, Cray got the goal they were looking for when from a free kick down the left, Bailey Dell’s cross into the box was helped on by Morgan to the far post where Mula stooped to head in from 4 yards and it was game on.

Glebe almost restored their two goal advantage straight away but White did well to block from Moynes near post shot following a left wing cross.

Cray almost levelled with ten minutes to go when Elliott West’s ball through found Kabangele down the left of the area and with the keeper advancing lifted the ball towards the goal but just over the bar.

Cray pushed to get the goal to take it to extra-time but Glebe dug in and in the fifth minute of added on time were awarded a penalty when Nathan Jeche was brought down in the box by Luke Miller and perhaps harshly was sent off for the challenge. From the spot, Boyce scored his second of the game which was the last touch of the match.

In the end Glebe advanced in what was a terrific advertisement for FA Youth Cup football and a competitive local derby.

Cray Wanderers:           Dylan White, Ernest Karbo, Ben Morgan, Luke Miller, Bailey Dell, Lanseny Traore (Kofi-Kwakye Osei, 84), Elliot West (Amadu Bah, 84), Shaquon Williams (Daniel Barriedaz, 72), Jed Nsiah-Asare, Israel Kabangele, Arens Mula: Subs: Efuardo Othneil, Daniel Mountain, Michael Asare, Keyden Lewis-Thomas   

Glebe:  Isaac Moses, Joseph Roberts, Ben Poole, Harrison English, Bradley Mitchell, Max Connor, Alfie Moynes, Henry Phillips, Omarion Byfield (Nathan Jeche), Jack Keen, Finlay Boyce: Subs: Fraser George, David Grace, Makhaya James, Simon Mbumbe, Ernie Rhodes,  Josh Schoetter.